I am happy to share with you, my beloved readers, that I’ve been nominated for a Liebster Award by Bipolarmama.
Thank you Bipolarmama!
The enlightening Bipolarmama blogs at http://thebipolarmama.wordpress.com.
Before I get into the nitty gritty about this distinction, forgive me for a slight digression, as I’m prone to do – at least it’s related to the concept of awards and what they mean to us.
Most of you are too young to remember the actress Sally Field. I knew who she was in part because her son Peter was in my L.A. high school chemistry class; her films were definitely out of my teenager scope of interest.
Ms. Field gave a famous Academy Award acceptance speech for her second Best Actress award that she received for the film “Places In The Heart”. During this speech she said twice that she didn’t “feel it” the first time she received an Academy Award for the role she played in “Norma Rae. However, after winning her second award, she triumphantly declared to the audience,
“I haven’t had an orthodox career. And I’ve wanted more than anything to have your respect…YOU LIKE ME, RIGHT NOW, YOU LIKE ME!”
To watch go to http://www.ontheredcarpet.com/Sally-Field-finds-out-the-Academy-likes-her—Oscar-History-Video/8517653
Field has been parodied for this speech ever since she gave it, but I love how she’s so transparent with her insecurity, especially since she’s addressing such a ruthless, cynical, judgmental crowd. Now, I’m no actress (although I’ve been told I’ma drama queen) but I relate to Field’s insecurity in regard to my writing.
I LOVE winning any award for writing because it makes me feel like you like me (well, you like my writing!), right now, you like it! 😉
Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest, guess what? At first I declined the Liebster. I said “thanks, but no thanks!” for several reasons. The main reason was that it was one of those days where I felt completely overwhelmed with life. I wasn’t depressed, but I felt depleted from being woken up each day at 4:30 a.m. by a certain adorable fluff of a puppy.
I didn’t think I could handle doing one more task; you see, being nominated for a Liebster Award is easy, but earning it requires a bit of work – you can’t just rest on your laurels and spoon in the Ben & Jerry’s Phish Food like I was hoping I could do.
What is a Liebster Award?
In a nutshell, it’s a peer-appointed award that was “created to recognize and/or discover new bloggers, welcome them to the blogosphere, and build the blogging community.” Of course the award also recognizes high-quality writing.
The four rules are as follows:
1) I must provide 11 facts about myself (I know you just read some facts about me if you read my Very Inspiring Blogger post – well, here are yet more facts, and then you’ll really know me!)
2) Answer 11 questions created by my nominating party Bipolarmama
3) Nominate 11 blogs
4) Provide them with 11 questions to answer
Okay, so I here I go again.
Dyane’s Glorious 11 Facts
1) I’m terrified of spiders. (Isn’t everyone?) But I can kill big, freaky ones if necessary.
2) If I could live anywhere else in the world it would be Kona-Kailua, Hawaii or the North Island of New Zealand.
3) I consider chocolate to be one of the four food groups.
4) I consider coffee to be another one of the four food groups.
5) I believe in psychics, although I’ve never met with one.
6) My favorite band is Crowded House.
7) I love essential oils such as orange, lavender and jasmine.
8) My Sheltie dog Tara was the flower girl at my wedding.
9) I have an IQ of 152. (or so I was told…)
10) I’m into namedropping as well as I.Q.-dropping. (Ahem, Sally Field?)
11) After being around bipolar for 44 years (first with my Dad, then with me) I’ll never consider bipolar disorder to be a “blessing”, despite my usually wanting to see the good in everything.
Questions submitted to Dyane by Bipolarmama
1) What is your favorite color? Why?
It’s purple, because it makes me happy to look at it & I think it lowers my blood pressure!
2) If you could have one wish, what would it be? (Be Honest)
To finish my book and get a great publisher! Honest!!!!
3) Pick a song that defines you. Why that song?
Neil Finn of Crowded House wrote “Nobody Wants To” which discusses the stigma he encountered after his best friend Paul Hester hung himself. I relate to it because it applies to any kind of mental illness stigma, which I’ve faced time and time again, and it just speaks to me.
4) If you could travel to one place, where would you go?
Back to the Kona region of the Big Island of Hawaii — when I’m not severely depressed like I was last year – I want my do-over!
5) Who is your hero? Why?
My husband, for putting up with me for the past sixteen years both pre-biplolar-diagnosis and post-bipolar-diagnosis, and for supporting my writing.
6) What makes you smile?
My American Collie mix puppy Lucy – she’s the apple of my eye, and my children aren’t even jealous because they adore her too.
7) What made you chose the topic you blog about?
Postpartum (childbirth-triggered/PPBD) bipolar disorder has been the predominant theme in my life for seven years, and I find it therapeutic to write about it.
8) If you could live in any time period, when you would you choose it to be?
After reading and loving Anne of Green Gables and Emily of New Moon I’d live at the turn of the century, despite the fact there was no central heating or television.
9) If you had to give up one of your senses, which would you choose?
Smell – I actually went to high school with a young woman who lost her sense of smell and she had a great attitude.
10) What was your favorite movie as a child?
“Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory” had an amazingly profound influence upon me.
11) What is your favorite way to unwind?
Well, it used to be booze, but now it’s reading blogs on my WordPress reader. I’d say that’s a positive change, wouldn’t you? Thank God for the blogosphere!
THE ELEVEN BLOG NOMINEES ARE…
Note to anyone who declines, which I totally understand if you choose to do so – just let me know, for there are other worthy blogs I could contact in your honor! Also, you can have more than one Liebster Award! For more info. about the Liebster visit: http://wordingwell.com/the-liebster-award-the-official-rules-my-first-blog-award-and-a-few-personal-secrets-revealed
1) Kitt O’Malley – Life with Bipolar Disorder and Thoughts About God
2) Passionate Reason – the blog of L.E. Henderson http://www.passionatereason.com/
3) A Bipolars Reality
4) Shedding Light on Mental Illness
6) The REVELATION of being BIPOLAR
7) Struggles of a Bipolar Woman
9) Adrienne’s Chat Lounge
10) This bipolar mom – mama with training wheels
11) Come Unglued
Thank you for reading this, and I’ll “see” you here on Friday. That’s the first day my two girls are out of school, and summer officially begins in our household. God knows what I’ll be writing about!
have a good day!!!